Friday, November 27, 2020

Dre the Giant: Using Music to Talk the Talk While Walking the Walk

by Cyrus Webb

For some music is just a way to escape, a form of entertainment. For recording artists like Dre the Giant it is a way to tell his story, share his truth and allow people to get to know him and the way he sees the world. 

I connected with Dre through Conversations' contributing music editor Stanley Clark, and it was obvious from the beginning that he was someone who was real and true to the craft. In a Conversations exclusive we talk about the musical journey, life's lessons and the advice he's like to share with others. 

Glad we have this time to chat, Dre. First of all when did you first realize your own love of music?I've always had a passion for music. I actually started doing music early on. I was writing it, but I wasn't putting it out or anything. And I was doing it, because my older brother was doing it. And it was one of those things where when he found out I was good at it, he tried to push me towards it... and I strayed away from it. It wasn't until recent years that I started taking it more serious. I was just trying to find a way to get out of trouble and out the streets. The music has always presented itself towards me in my life. 

One day while I was actually in jail I just said to myself, 'Man, if I get out of this situation, I'm just going to do this music thing.' And that's what I've been doing ever since that happened.

That's amazing. So when it comes to musical influences then, Dre, who were some of the people who kind of influenced you and made you say, 'Hey, you know? I want to be able to do them?'
My older brother was one of the bigger ones. Growing up Tupac was hands down. He still paint one of the better pictures of today. I still listen to his music as if it just came out. I didn't start listening to Nipsey Hustle until his demise. Long live him. I now listen to the Victory Lap album every day. So he is a big motivation currently for me.

For a long time it was hard for me to share my music. I wasn't afraid of the critique. I just kept it to myself, but I realized you have to put it out in order for it to be critiqued.

Other influences include Juvenile, UGK, The Dayton Family and more. I think anything and everything that I listened to is a big part of my inspiration. Even listening to Chris Stapleton and Tennessee Whiskey almost everyday. I don't just listen to Rap and R&B. I switch up. Classics like Michael Jackson and Prince. They definitely play a big part into who I am as an artist.

You mentioned Tupac and Nipsey. The thing I appreciate about both of them is their ability to be able to tell stories through music. Is that storytelling ability something that you also liked about them and wanted to do?
Oh yeah, definitely. For someone to tell a story and capture me and I actually feel like I'm there is amazing. Those are two artists that definitely do it every time. To be honest, Juvenile does it pretty well, too. It definitely made me want to be able to tell my story because of how they painted their stories. They could talk about things that were actually going on in the world, not just their personal life. It made me want to be more of that kind of artist. 

That brings up this question then, Dre: If you were just meeting someone and they asked you what kind of music do you do? How do you describe your musical style and what you do?
I actually have been asked that. I say I make my life's music, and my life is pretty dope. I don't mean that I have everything, because I don't. But it's my life, so every day is an opportunity. And my style, it just comes from my experiences, everything that I have personally went through and from everything that I have sat down and heard. The eyes are the windows to the soul, so everything that I have seen is part of it. 

Nowadays a lot of artists have one or two styles. On my latest album it's 11 songs on it, and each song sounds nothing like the other ten. So I don't have a specific style. I honestly let the beat tell me what to bring to it. 

I mentioned that you and I met through a mutual friend, Stanley Clark. I think that brings up an interesting point in this conversation. I am a firm believer that the people that we are surrounding ourselves with will either push us forward or keep us back. How important has it been for you to be able to surround yourself with people who believe in you and push you?
Oh man, that's a great question. Sometimes when things don't go your way, you feel like the people that's really in your corner are not in your corner. I can honestly say that the few people that I have behind me right now are a hundred percent behind me. It was times when I felt that they weren't, but it was just because I thought things weren't going my way. I had to go back and think about it and had to reassess that whole situation.

Last question I have for you. What advice would you give to people out there about following their own goals and dreams?
I got a friend that literally lives down the street from me, and I will give him a lot more credit for talent than I have. But I tell him every day you have to write something. You just have to do it. The first thing you might write you might not use it. You might never use it. You might discard it. But if you don't start it, if you don't take that step forward, you will never make that progress. 

The first thing I wrote, I might've used it. I might not. I honestly don't remember. But I know from the point that I started writing, I would get all these ideas. I actually had to write myself towards the ideas. You can't sit there and think about it. The best thought in the world only becomes the best if you put action behind it. You gotta take this step forward.

Stay connected with Dre on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/dre.thegiant.9 and Instagram www.instagram.com/drethegiant1



No comments:

Post a Comment