Friday, November 27, 2020

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: Singer/Songwriter Sophie Ann

by Cyrus Webb

Talent is everywhere, and when you can tap into that talent and share it with the world you create something timeless. That is exactly what singer and songwriter Sophie Ann has been able to do. 

Before the shutdown this year I sat down with her in Los Angeles to discuss her musical journey. She was preparing for the release of her new project called JUST ME---and prior to the chat she allowed me to hear what would become my favorite song from the album Head Over Heels. 

Sophie Ann is an example to us all of what it means to be talented and free, sharing her highs and lows for the world to see and more importantly connect with. Here are the highlights of our conversation. 

One of the things that I noticed prior to now is that you have such gratitude for your fans. You had a ridiculous amount of streams on your music last year. What was it like for you to end the last decade on such a high with your music?
It was really, really amazing. I had never in the past had people reach out to me and tell me how my music had affected them or that their kids liked it. It started happening on Instagram. And it's just like the coolest thing ever to know that people connect with what I'm saying. 

I think one of the reasons why they connect with you, Sophie Ann, is that you're so real and relatable. You really bring people in. What you sing about could be any of our stories. Is that something you hear a lot? 
Yeah, I think a lot of the time people say that's like what I've been feeling, but I've never been able to put it into words. So that's kind of my goal with my songs. Just like summarize what's going on and make it relatable.


Let's go back a little bit. When did you first realize that music was that gift that you've been given?
I think probably in high school I realized that I was a good singer. I didn't really know until I was pushed into it by my parents. I was in a gospel choir, and then I found my voice from there. I had always written songs, but I never really thought I was good enough to pursue it. Then once I was really pushed into it and forced to be in front of people and got really good feedback, that's when it was like, 'Okay, I guess I can do it.'

A big way people have been able to know you is through social media. Did you know from the beginning that was going to be a big part of how you're able to share your gifts with the world?
I knew that it had to be. I definitely worked on it and worked on being able to connect with people. That has helped a lot in growing my fan base and meeting people who genuinely like what I'm doing. 

I mentioned that you started off this year with a brand new project (JUST ME out now). You've been talking about that on social media a lot. Do you feel any added pressure because of the success last year?
Not really. I'm just really excited. I just have a really good feeling about it. I think this year I'm just gonna let whatever happens happen and not stress out too much about it. The creative process and making the music was probably the stressful part. Just getting it where I wanted it to be. Now that it's there, I'm just so excited.

I mentioned I've listened to the single HEAD OVER HEELS and that you seem to be able to tell stories in your music. Is that how it comes to you, being able to think about situations and then putting it in songs?
Yeah. Writing is basically like therapy to me. I've never had a diary or anything like that, so it's just what's going on inside always. My music is always personal.

The title of the new album is called JUST ME. Talk to us about the process for this and what makes this special for you?
I think it's really special, because I completed it. I'm single, which is new for me. I'm like a serial dater. This has been like a really big growing experience. Just like getting all this done on my own without any kind of support. Well, I have my parents and friend. A lot of the songs I've written are about being alone for the first time in a long time. I'm enjoying it, just becoming a better woman.

Because of what you've been able to achieve, people are going to be able to look at you and say, you know what? I want to be able to do what she does. I'm sure you're already hearing it from your fans, how much they appreciate you. How does that feel to know that you're able to have that kind of impact on individuals?
It's really cool. I never thought it would happen. It's really, really awesome. Just to know that I'm connecting with other people, and they are healing through that means a lot, 

Follow Sophie Ann's journey on Instagram at www.instagram.com/sophieannmusic.

No comments:

Post a Comment