Saturday, February 5, 2022

Recording Artist Alyst: Celebrating a Career that is GLEEMING

by Cyrus Webb

Over the past 18 years I have interviewed hundreds of recording artists. Alyst is without a doubt one of the most passionate I've encountered in that time. 

He's an individual who is not trying to be anyone but himself, and he is building a worldwide following that celebrates that. His music resonates with you, and in 2021 he released a song that reflects his journey called GLEEMING. 

In this conversation we discuss the road he's traveled and what's to come. 


Alyst ,what has it been like for you to reflect on your music career and what you’ve achieve?
It's been a product of believing in something and never giving up. I'm usually so focused on getting better and improving my sound, I forget how far I've come along. But it's one of the best feelings in the world. I can't wait to see how far it goes.

Did you always know that music was something you were meant to do?
I always knew that music and entertainment were something that I wanted to pursue. I come from a musical family. My mom is a singer herself and my dad played with Michael Jackson. I wrote my first song at 12 and haven't stopped from there.  

What has it been like for you to go from listening to your favorite artists on the radio or online to now being the artist that people are listening to?
With my sports background, I'm naturally pretty competitive. So to hear myself in the same space as some of my favorite artists gives me even more confidence and motivation. 

You’ve also built an audience for yourself. What has that been like for you to see the way your fanbase has grown?
It's still pretty surreal for me to have fans. It's something I've always wanted. Anyone who takes the time to appreciate my art that I put so much into, I never take for granted. 

The live performance is normally the best experience for artists and their fans. What is it like for you to be up on stage and feel that energy in the room?
I used to be a top tennis player in the US, and before every match I would get a bit nervous. But when it comes to performing my music, I just dive all the way in. I leave everything out there. As a kid I used to perform in shows as well so it feels natural when I'm on stage. 


The pandemic has changed the way artists like yourself have been able to engage. How has social media helped you fill that gap?

Though the pandemic came with its challenges, it's been a good way to connect with people all around the world. I've had the chance to connect with fans, artists, and producers. The pandemic definitely forced me to step my social media game up. So I'd say I've adjusted pretty well. 


The single you released in 2021 was GLEEMING. Tell us about it.
Gleeming is about my journey so far in my career. I talk about how I started rapping and very little people believed in me. Now fast forward to 2021, I'm making moves and finally seeing some reward from my hard work and persistence. 

With so much in the world still in flux, is there anything you are looking forward to next?
 I've got a team behind me and we have a dope vision for some of the other singles I'll be releasing. (As this issue was going to press Alyst released his single GOLD which is already getting radio play.)

With all you have done, how has your idea of what success is for you changed since you first started your music career?
My idea of success hasn't changed a bit. Having the privilege of making music as a career would be success within itself. It wouldn't even be work for me.  But my all time goal has always been to win a Grammy. 

Alyst, what about your advice for others artists? What would you say to them about pursuing their goals and dreams?
I would tell them that if you truly believe in what you are doing and if it's for the right reasons never, ever quit. Stay focused on what you want and stay true to yourself. 

Thanks for the time and continued blessings to you. How can our audience stay connected with you and keep up with what’s to come?
Thank you for the opportunity. They can follow me on instagram @alystartist.

No comments:

Post a Comment