Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tomas Doncker: Using Music To Stand Up For What's Right


by Cyrus Webb

Tomas Doncker is not just any kind of musician. He is the right kind of musician for the world we live in today. The Brooklyn, NY native has know since he was twelve years old that music was going to be his way of speaking to the world. He was watching television when a show came on showcasing acts from different genres and he "flipped out." "I went and woke up my mom and told her this was something I wanted to do," he recalls. His mother---a musician herself---told him how difficult the business was, but there was no changing the young boy's mind. He knew he had found his calling.

Fast-forward to 2012 and it's clear that Tomas Doncker knew exactly what he was talking about. With music distributed around the world he is being known and respected for a craft that he takes more seriously each and every day. It's something that he definitely doesn't take for granted. "It has been such a blessing,"he tells me during a phone interview. "I didn't realize at twelve the real rewards of an artistic journey: the friendships, the daily revelations, etc. The journey is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Music has truly shown me the power of the word."

The proof of the power that words have can be seen in his SMALL WORLD album which includes both messages of love but addresses social ills as well. This is by no means an accident. It is something that Tomas intended. "I've learned the power of music from around the world," he says. "I also have learned that music can evoke change. This is not just about playing notes. It's about a message."

One of the first lyrics that Tomas Doncker paid attention to was a line by The O Jays: "I love music" He recognizes today more than ever what that music can do. "It is the healing force of the world," he says. "As a kid you sing along, not thinking about the words. One day it hit me: I'm a musician. I'm supposed to be helping the world be a better place. It dawned on me the power of music and what it could do. I realized then that the gift of music was something really important."

From Tomas' perspective this is something that all of us can learn. "If we just treated each other with respect that would be a great start," he told me.

Interestingly enough whether people get the message or not, that isn't what drives him to keep going. "Whether the audience responds or not, it doesn't stop me from doing what I feel like I have to do. It makes me feel good that people are paying attention, but I don't need anyone else to validate what I'm doing. There's a certain sense of satisfaction in just doing what I know I'm supposed to be doing."

Tomas told me that when it comes to his style of music breaking through the various choruses being sung by artists of all genres he believes we are in a renaissance right now. "I think people are coming back around to the question 'What do you have to say?'"

The artist has found success and feels satisfied because he is in a good place. It is his life and he is inspired just by the gift of living.

Look for Tomas Doncker's new project POWER OF THE TRINITY on I-Tunes. Look for details about it and other events at http://www.tomasdoncker.net/.

No comments:

Post a Comment