Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Recording Artist Peter Baldwin: Creating & Connecting One Day At A Ti me


by Cyrus Webb

 

Recording artist Peter Baldwin is someone who gets it. The Anchorage, AK native is definitely into his music, but he realizes the importance of the human component as well when it comes to actually connecting with those hearing it. Now living in New York, NY you can tell that it is the actual creation process that drives him, and he admits that he is himself a work in progress.

 

I first interviewed him for Conversations LIVE and afterwards as we were preparing the music issue I knew we had to have him be a part of it. In this candid discussion Peter talks about his beginnings, his inspiration and what's next.

 

Peter thank you for taking out the time to talk with us. Do you remember when you first begin to express an interest in music?

1997. I was sitting in church friday night next to my friends, Codey and Andre, during the part of the service when people 'testify'. The two of them decided to stand up and sing a song so, since they're older than I am, I followed. From then on we were 3-T or the 3 Testimonies.

Now looking at where you are today what surprises you the most about what you have been able to accomplish?

At that time in my life there were no expectations of a music career. I sang for Jesus. My ministerial function was choir boy and sometimes drummer if the other kids didn't show. I devoted entire sundays to church services and buffets. Now I'm a recording artist with sex appeal. Everything surprises me.

I can only imagine what it's like for you to see the reaction to your music when you are performing in front of a crowd. How would you describe that feeling?

What I'm seeing from the stage is a super intense moment that everyone is both creating and partaking in. What I'm feeling is like a current of absolute acceptance.

When you and I talked on Conversations LIVE I was curious about the journey you have been on as an artist. What inspires you or captures your attention enough to write and sing about?

Women, honestly, are the most inspiring thing I know, and my relationships with women shape my thinking. I have my ideas on what would make the world functional, but I think it starts between me and women.

Does the business side of the entertainment industry take any of the joy away from the craft for you?

Business does create some conflict in my head by raising questions that I wouldn't otherwise need an answer to: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? But there's no reason to lose my joy; it's mine. And if I'm here 10 years from now, I will be an influential human being with sex appeal.

What should we be looking out for from you in the near future?

Right now I do have new material in the works that I'm very excited about, but in the nearest future I'm selling "Peter Baldwin in Vodville" on iTunes and Amazon. I'm also taking on the college touring circuit soon.

How have you been using social networking sites to promote your work as well as connect with your fans?

I'm not an expert, but I have found that it's better to keep a personal profile on Facebook for real virtual interaction. I don't have to look at analytics charts because I'm actually out there selling myself.

Because of what you are accomplishing there will be those who read this, Peter, and will wonder what was the secret. What would you tell them about how you were able to make it this far?

Here's something I just made up for myself: Every day is made up of person to person interactions. The reason I'm not more accomplished is because I can get better at communicating with people. I have to make responsible communication my lifestyle. I have to build a solid support group and accept its resources.

Continued success to you, Peter. How can our readers keep in touch with you and support your music?

Thank you. I can be found on Twitter @Peterbaldwin. My website is http://peterbaldwinrocks.com . Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment