Monday, April 2, 2012

PROFILE: Cunning Brad (Bulawayo Zimbabwe)


Name:  Cunning Brad

Year Est: In 2006 although I have been writing songs and playing the cover circuit for years.

Hometown: Bulawayo Zimbabwe

Genre: lyrically loaded melodic rock and ballads

What inspired you?
My family has always been musical. I was born with music in my ears. My Mother played piano and piano accordion, my brother is also a singer/songwriter/entertainer. He gave me my first guitar that we rescued out of a dustbin. My Dad managed to glue it back together and I learned to play on that.

What other musicians influenced you? 
Too many, always love old school classic rock like Aerosmith, Led Zepp, Bad Company, Journey and Boston, but I also was weaned on Cat Stevens and Jim Croce. I'll love anything melodic doesn't matter if it is hard and angry or soft and slow.

What is your view of success as an artist? 
I don't feel like I should pursue music as such. Obviously I am seduced by the idea of fame and fortune, but I feel success every time someone hears me, then buys my album and then raves about my songwriting.

How do you keep yourself motivated? 
I am pretty hard on myself when it comes to songwriting and performing, I expect a lot and I incubate my original songs for ages before I record them, so I push myself quite hard, but my passion and love for my music is obvious and is what I think keeps me motivated.

Brad, what advice do you give to other artists or those pursuing their dreams?
To other artists I would say work with your hearts as well as your minds. Hone your skills as best as you can. Focus on sharpening your song writing and your genre of choice. Get yourselves a marketable brand. Collectively save and invest in decent gear for the band and for decent production in the recording of your songs, 'Voodoo Child' are a good example of that. Approach agents, publishers, record companies, radio stations, venues etc. Try to be different to other bands, do stuff that sets you apart. And push, push, push. Never ever give up. Trust me, because I am still doing it too.

You can find out more about me at my website www.cunningbrad.co.za , and we are also
on facebook as "Cunning Brad" My music can be heard on both sites and anyone wishing to buy the album can contact me through my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment