Sunday, October 28, 2012

Matthew Gray:Answering The Call To Create Great Music

by Sabrina Andrews
     with Cyrus Webb

Toronto's own Matthew Gray has gone from being just a lover of music himself to now creating music that others are enjoying as well.

His new single "Shoulda Got Her Number" definitely got the attention of Conversations LIVE radio show host Cyrus Webb, and Gray was invited to be a guest on the program to introduce it: his first radio interview in the States.

Webb began the discussion by asking the artist what it's been like to be promoting his own music. "It's been a rollercoaster," Gray told Webb. "I've been working on music my whole life, but to be now professionally doing it is showing that the hard work is paying off."

Gray went on to tell Webb that he wants his songs to be "something that guys and girls can relate to. I want it to be able to help them through situations in their lives."

During the interview Webb asked the artist when he knew that music was something he wanted to pursue. "It was almost like a calling," Gray told him. "I knew at the age of 4 that this is what I wanted to do and had to do. It was something that I had to pursue, and I've been going after it ever since."

Matthew also talked about how the journey has been made easier by knowing that he has good people behind him like his family and friends.

One tool that has certainly made it easier to find artists like Matthew Gray is the internet. He was asked about its impact on his career and the way he was able to communicate with fans. "The internet has definitely opened up the world to new artists," he says. "It's very innovative for the music industry and a great way to connect and share."

With this being something that he has wanted for so long, Webb asked Gray about the business aspect of the industry and how he is able to find a balance for himself. "I'm a perfectionist," he says with a laugh. "I feel the most amount of pressure from myself. I want people to connect with the music. I've been doing this for a while, and I did learn a lot along the way that is going to help me in the future. "

When talking about the single "Shoulda Got Her Number" Matthew told Webb that it was inspired by a real event in his life. Since it's release, he feels good about the response so far. "It feels like a huge accomplishment to finally have the song done. I definitely wanted to make sure that it was at the point where I wanted it to be." Another sign of how seriously he takes the craft and the art of songwriting. It's also been great for him to perform the single. "There are so many things you can do with your vocals," he told Webb. "It's a fun song to perform. I think that everybody can relate to it."

So what does Matthew's journey mean for what each of us can accomplish? "I really do believe that everybody has to go out there and pursue their dream," he told Webb. "It is possible. Anything is possible with hard work and effort. I believe that people can prevail if they never give up."

A great message from a talented messenger! Find out more about Matthew Gray and download the single SHOULDA GOT HER NUMBER for free today at www.matthewgrayonline.com. You can also visit his Youtube page at www.youtube.com/matthewgraytv and follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Matthew_Gray.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent interview. Great song. I'm looking forward to hearing more from this young man! If he isn't already signed to a major US label, he should be. This is more R&B than Hip Hop & the Canadian radio market does not support R&B or the Blues adequately -- ESPECIALLY in this young man's hometown of TORONTO - the most multi-cultural city in the entire world. Toronto radio should be ashamed that they aren't playing this song!

    ReplyDelete