Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bo Benton: Living Life Independent and Unintimidated


by Cyrus Webb

When I look back over the 3000+ individuals I have had the privilege of interviewing over the past nine years, there are few that leave me as inspired and encouraged as recording artist Bo Benton.

Her story is one that I think strikes at the heart of what it means to live a life of purpose and appreciating the gifts that have been given to all of us. She's a beautiful woman both inside and out, but that is not what makes her a force. Bo Benton matters because Bo Benton knows who she is, what she wants and what it takes to achieve the goals she has for herself. In other words, she is a authentically herself through and through.

I was introduced to her through her club banger INTIMIDATED, and it was obvious right away that this was a recording artist that was going to be with us for quite some time.

Her fans agree.


In about a month the video for INTIMIDATED garnered over one million hits on Youtube as well as enjoyed views on over 125 video websites, along with rotation at MTV Jams and about 600 plays at Music Choice. With over 15,000 spins at Urban, Crossover, and Top 40 radio, Bo Benton has tapped into something real that resonates with the hearts and minds of listeners, and she's just getting started.


Since her 2008 debut album release Queen of The Night, Bo, a former model, has been dividing her time between tour dates and studio sessions to work on her sophomore album release The Underground Collection due for release this September. I caught up with her between events, and the conversation we had is one that will inspire you towards your own personal greatness and remind you of what is possible in your life at all times.

Raised in Chicago, Bo Benton was born in a world full of music. Her grandmother was an opera singer, her mother a pianist and her father being a bass player, early on she found herself intoxicated by the industry. "My parents always instilled the discipline of music in me," Bo shared. "They always told me to shine. Just shine! When it came to music they told me that if this is what you want to do go after it with all your heart."

I was curious if having so much talent in one family was intimidating for her when it came to her own career. Bo's response was a quick No. "I never felt any pressure at all," she says. "The music I create is my music and that of my fans. It's like... we all breathe the same air, but it's our air that goes into our lungs. I always looked at it as an individual path that no one can go on but me."


That individual path has allow Bo to find your own voice and be her own person. "I was born that way," she explained. "It's in me to stand out and be an individual, letting others see that they can be individuals too. God created us all individually and uniquely. That is what I hope to bring out through my artistry and my music."

What Bo said earlier in our conversation about creating music for herself and her fans was something I wanted to explore some more with her. How did it feel for her to know that there were individuals literally around the world who were connecting with her message and sound? "It's wonderful," she told me. "I love my fans so much. They know that I'm dedicated to produce good music. I'm an independent artist, so that means all I've done has been part of a grassroots movement. It's because of the fans, so it's very critical that I keep in touch with my them and continue making music that the fans love."

For some their idea of "making it" in the music business is about being signed. Bo is not waiting for that moment. She's taking advantage of each day and every opportunity. Her career is just that: her career. That's not something she can just give away.

"To be an artist how can you put your career in someone else's hands," she says. On the other hand, she is quick to point out that this is not something you can do on your own, either. "There is no 'I' in team. There are a lot of components to getting your music out there. I make the music, but there are others involved in what you're getting."

Truly what you are getting with Bo Benton is the total package: beauty, brains and a commitment to excellence that is gaining respect from even those who might have just written her off as another pretty face. In our conversation she compared it to what some thought about the main character in Legally Blonde. "You can be beautiful and gorgeous and about your business," she says. "It's about discipline and determination." Over the past seven or eight years she has proven herself, and has the career to show for it. "You have to be assertive. We're all in this together. Don't underestimate my ability."

Because of what she is accomplishing, Bo says that alot of people are looking to her as a leader, asking questions about the business and what it takes to make it in the industry. She shared that she is writing a book to share what she has learned, yet another way that she will be able to inspire others and educate them along the way.

People are watching her, and since she has the spotlight and the platform, I asked Bo about being seen as a role model. She responded to me in a way that I have never heard before. "The term role model is an interesting one because it's not a role I'm playing. It's my life," she explained. "I don't have a problem with people looking at me. I take it very seriously."

Whether you are an artist yourself or making your mark in your own profession, Bo Benton shows that you can live your life and fulfill your purpose without selling out who you are.

"I stay in the moment. It's a beautiful experience."

Her advise to each of us? "Always stay prepared. Read. Stay organized. Stay ready. You should also stay current and know what's happening. Know about the technology that's out there, because it can enhance what you're doing. Most importantly stay humble and thankful for every milestone in your career. Remember you can't do this alone. you need other people in everything you do. Being kind and nice really does go a long way."

Bo Benton is yet another example that the good guys and girls can finish first and shine in the process. Keep up with her busy schedule at www.bobenton.com. You can also like her fan page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/bobentonfanpage and follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bobenton.


No comments:

Post a Comment